Saturday, August 17, 2013

Memorializing a Moment

My son is at that age - still a little kid, but striving to be a Young Man, testing limits and boundaries, and once in a while being so dang tender and precious, it's almost heartbreaking.

I went upstairs to put my pajamas on. He was already in bed. He's one of those kids that pretty much goes to sleep within moments of going to bed.

I could hear him singing to himself. I couldn't quite make out the song (it was probably Macklemore or Imagine Dragons, but I'd rather believe it was Puff The Magic Dragon). I started to rebuke him - to tell him to hush, now, and go to sleep! But I just couldn't do it. How dear is that? A kid singing himself to sleep. I hope I never forget that.

Would he let me go and rock him? No, of course not. I don't even always get to tuck him in, especially if I don't rush to get there. He was asleep by the time I had finished washing my face.

I need a Pinterest for that. A Kodak for that moment. A memory stick I can put that moment on, straight from my brain, quick before it fades.

2 comments:

  1. Find a way to keep this memory safe. He's at the age when they are few and far between - and too soon forgotten. Tell him AC loves him very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this works for a "memory stick." Sweet children; dear mother, beloved child. This made me think of the time I rocked you as a teenager.

    I hope it's possible to archive a blog.

    <3

    ReplyDelete