Sunday, November 8, 2015

Adventures in Translation - Family

Demaryius Thomas has a tattoo that said "Family." He said, "Family - I love 'em all." And then there was ESPN's slogan, Football is family. Whatevs.

I thought, what if I got that tattoo in Arabic? I'm not into tattoos of words - even in a foreign language, even in a beautifully written one, like Arabic - but if I were into that, the tattoo would say الاهل - al-Ahal. The folks. Family.

Like اهل الكتاب - ahal al-Kitab - people of the Book. Believers. Jews, Christians, Muslims. Family.

Like اهلي - Ahali - my family.

Like اهوال الدنيا - Ahwal al-Dunya - Peoples of the world. Family.
Yes, there are other words for family. I think أسرة - usrah - is more "proper."

Greetings in Arabic can be extensive. "How are you? How's your health? How are your affairs? How's your family?" all rapid-fire, while the other person says, "Good, thank God, thank God, good."

The word used - at least in my experience - isn't the proper usrah, but the more general اهل. How are your people? Your family?

2 comments:

  1. We're fixing to go see the folks. All the kinfolks were there. Those are the phrases of my youth. "Family" would be a nuclear unit; "folks" would include local relations, parents and so on. "How're your folks?" would trigger a report on parents, grands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Usrah is that nuclear unit. I like the "folks/family/people" connotations of ahal. Like the acknowledgement that "you're my people" - that could be someone not even related to you. A family friend, someone you find you have a deep connection to. It's a nice thought, that "family" can mean people you didn't know you had.

      Delete