Sunday, June 23, 2013

Of Demons and Pigs

This Sunday's Gospel reading was Luke, chapter 8, verses 26-39. As a refresher, this is the one where Jesus  meets the man who is possessed by demons, who beg Jesus for mercy (not to torment them; to not send them into the abyss). Jesus agrees to let the demons go into a herd of pigs, and when they do, the pigs all run off a steep hill into the lake and drown. The townspeople get freaked out and ask Jesus to leave.

The priest's sermon on this talked about the different kinds of demons, and how we all have them; internal and external demons. As he talked about the internal demons, how they can cause you to speak with a voice that is not your own (as they did in the reading, answering Jesus's questions), I couldn't help but remember The Bloggess's admonition: depression lies (probably at least in part because whenever I think of depression, I think of her wonderful mantra). I had never thought of the lies being in the form of things you say that aren't you - that the lies depression tells aren't  just  "you're not good enough" or whatever version of that you hear, but that it steals your own voice to tell others lies, too.

I love it that this particular priest quotes long-dead saints. Today he quoted (among another) Athanasius as saying (I paraphrase) that demons have no power, even over swine. That goes very well with the Islamic image of the devil as the Whisperer, unable to enact real evil, but who plants evil thoughts in our heads. The Islamic concept of the devil is one I really appreciate. It's much more relatable than the large, evil beast of Hell: We all hear evil whispers now and again.

And that goes right into the next point that this priest made that I loved: That Evil has no real home in God's universe. The demon(s) begged Jesus not be to sent back to the abyss, the void. Any home Evil finds is only a false home - one from which it can be expelled.

So, I have more weapons to add to my arsenal.
Depression lies.
Demons don't belong here.
Demons have no power here (so long as I remember not to give them any).

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful insights! I missed church today because of this darn cold, but I would have loved to hear what Amma Jessie said about this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts on this, Jenn. It would do all of us well to remember this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Peggy, bummer that you had to miss church. :( Feel better soon. Like, in a week or less, please.

    @Lisa & @Cheryle, Thank you! I figure if I say it enough times, I'll remember it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your thoughts on depression. But the gospel -- I read it too and it is just toooo bizarre. Why did the pigs commit suicide? To get away from the demons? Or did the demons kill the pigs to spite Jesus? At best it makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete