Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Letter I Just Wrote to Performance Today

Dear PT,

I want to tell you that I love you guys - I always think I don't like classical music, and then I hear your show and you put the lie to that concept.

It seems that every time I hear your letters read aloud, at least one of them is, "I love that song! Where can I get a recording?" To which the answer is invariably some version of, "Well, you can't."

Well, why not? Surely there must be some really smart lawyers out there who also love Performance Today and would be willing to help you all out with some deals with the performers, managers, composers, artists, etc. and a service like Amazon... or maybe they could team with some really brilliant programmers to provide in-house software... And you already have good-enough recording capability... And a web-site...

I'm rambling and sounding nuts, I know, but point is - you could charge a good bit more than what Amazon and iTunes and whatever else charges for each track, people would pay it, and the money could help support PT or Public Radio or feed hungry musicians in Berkely or something.

Don't get me wrong - I know it wouldn't be easy (or probably cheap, even if the lawyers worked pro bono), but surely not impossible. And there is a market. I promise.

What do you say? Or has all this already been examined to death?

Cautiously, hopefully, and perhaps naively yours,
-Jenn

1 comment:

  1. KINK-Fm has a Live Performance Lounge, where they put on concerts. They replay those concerts on the radio during the year. Once a year, they create a CD - Kink Live - with the best performance on there. We're up to 11, I think.

    Go, Djinn!!

    ReplyDelete